You can get the look that you have always wanted by styling with hair extensions to make your hair longer or thicker. I realized that in the United States of America, about 80% of ladies with long hair aren’t naturally gifted. They wear natural wings and hair extension which make their hair look as if they were naturally gifted with it. I know that many ladies desire to have particular hairstyle such as short hairstyles, medium hairstyle, long hairstyle and many more.
The progress of growing hair to your desired length might take you a couple of some good months. However, though
it might take time to get naturally long hair, you can opt for natural hair extensions which will give your hair a natural longer and thicker look. Ladies opt for hair extensions coz they are the only way to attain the desired hair length to have the look and style they desired.
In this article, we featured the different types and categories of hair extensions, the methodologies to follow when applying them, the basic things you will need and the care and maintenance for your hair extensions so that they last longer and look great, fabulous on you.
Before we look at the different types of hair extensions which will flatter your face shape, let’s look at the steps and tips to follow when choosing or buying hair extensions.
TIPS ON HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST HAIR EXTENSIONS FOR YOUR FACE SHAPE
It’s a dream of every beautiful lady to have a natural hair look. If you have short hair or medium length hairstyle, you can make it look long by choosing the best hair extension which will flatter your face shape for a natural chic and sexy look.
Think of the look you want to create:
The look you want to create with your hair extension will guide you in choosing the best hair extension which will look fabulous on your face. In addition, it will also help you in choosing the type of hair extension you want to buy i.e. natural real hair or synthetic hair extension.
Think about your hair color and hair texture:
The color of your hair extension should match or complement your natural gifted hair. This will make the hair extension look great on your head and make your hair look natural and cute. The texture of your hair should also match with that of the extension. For instance, if you have straight hair, straight hair extensions will be the best choice. For ladies with curly hair, opt for curly hair extension not straight hair extensions.
Think of the type of hair extension to use:
There are many different types of hair extensions such as (Bonding & sealing hair extensions, clip-in or clip-on hair extensions, infusion hair extensions, micro hair extensions, fusion hair extensions, etc.) so you have to choose the methodology to use when applying the extension.
Think of the length of your hair extension:
Some ladies are comfortable with long-medium hair style while other prefer short hairstyle. Therefore depending on the style you are comfortable with, choose the hair extensions which you will use accordingly. Remember we all have different face shapes and that the hair extensions which will look great on one person might not look good on the other.
Also you should remember that the hair extension you choose will be worn for a long time thus you should choose the best which will flatter your face. Purchase hair extensions from genuine stores and putting theirs price into considerations. You’re done, enjoy your extension.
TYPES OF HAIR EXTENSIONS
BONDING AND SEALING EXTENSIONS
Bonding hair extensions are the commonly used hair extension among all ladies coz it doesn’t cause damage on their hair. The bonding involves application of hair glue to your natural hair and to the bonding hair extension. For a comfortable and flexible wear, apply your bonding and sealing hair extension using adhesives made from latex. This is a soft bonding which will make you feel more comfortable and leave your hair intact. However, some ladies might prefer applying adhesives which will make their extensions stay for 1 to 2 months. You can use super glue but this will make your hair rigid making you feel uncomfortable. It will take about 3 to 5 hours bonding your extensions to your natural hair depending on the expertise of the hairdresser and the type of adhesive you opted to use.
How to Bond or Seal Hair Extensions
- Get your desired length of the hair extensions by trying them on. Ask the hair dresser the length which will look great on you and s/he will help you decide on the style to use.
- You will need to wash your hair with plenty of shampoo and then warm water. Add hair conditioner to your hair to make it soft and shiny after washing. Use the hairdryer (it will blow hot air over your hair, so don’t be afraid that it will burn your hair LOL :)) to dry your hair.
- You can now gently comb your hair to the back so that it’s flat on your head for easy bonding and sealing of your hair extensions.
- Apply lots of hairspray to hold your hair in a particular style that you want it to be.
- Carefully use a pair of heated tongs or straighteners to fix your hair extensions on your natural hair. Use more hair extensions to get the desired volume, thickness and length to make your hair look real and natural. After getting your intended hairstyle, apply lots of hairspray again to hold your hair in that particular style.
- Comb your hair to the back and you will be done. You’re now good to go with your hair extension which looks like your natural gifted hair which will look tremendous on you.
How to Care For Bonding and Sealing Extensions
- Keep the extension clean: Wash your hair extensions to keep them clean. First wet them with warm water then spray lots of shampoo. Rinse with warm water and allow them to dry in the sun or use a hairdryer if in a hurry.
- Keep the extensions soft: Apply a hair conditioner to make your hair soft. Soft hair is easy to comb and no or little hair loss when combing.
- Keep the hair extension twist free: After wearing them, use a comb to gently straighten them. You can hang them straight when they are in the pack you bought them from or tie a ponytail in the middle to prevent them from knotting.
Things You Will Need
- Hair Extension
- Shampoo & Warm Water
- Hair Conditioner & Styling Cream
- Hair Adhesives
CLIP-IN OR CLIP ON HAIR EXTENSIONS
If you want to look stunning with your hair extensions, try the clip-in hair extension. They are the most affordable, comfortable and easy extensions to make your hair longer in just seconds. You can wear clip-in hair extension during day when at work or at night when sleeping. However, as a hairstylist, I wouldn’t recommend sleeping with the clip-in extensions on your head as this will hurt your head & damage the extensions. This might damage style and texture of your natural hair and the extension. You can opt for natural clip-in hair extensions or synthetic clip-in hair extensions depending on your test (preference) and the look (style) you want to create.
How to Attach Clip In or Clip On Hair Extensions
- Choose the type of clip-in hair extensions you are going to use. You can opt for natural clip-in hair extension or synthetic clip-in hair extension depending on your test and finance.
- Compare your hair extension with the color and texture (style) of your natural hair. They should match so that the extension looks great and invisible (indistinguishable) from your natural hair.
- Make sure your hair is clean and if it isn’t, then wash it with lots of shampoo and rinse it with warm water. Dry your hair using a hairdryer then apply a conditioner to make it soft and shiny after washing.
- Use your fingers or a comb to make two sections of your hair. The upper section will cover-up the clips and the lower section will hold your hair extension. Make a pony tail for the upper section and secure it using a hair clip. Leave the lower section of your nature hair to flow downwards for easy attachment of the clips.
- Place the clip-in extension on to the area where the upper section separates from the lower section of your hair. Open the clips and slowly push-down to fasten the clips into position.
- You can now slowly release the upper section of your hair and gently mess-up your hair to ensure that your natural hair has uniformly blended with the clip-in hair extension.
- Depending on the look you want to create, you can leave your hair at the back or divide them to the front on both sides. You’re done and good to go enjoy your hair extension.
How to Care For Clip In or Clip On Hair Extension
Well, you should allow me say that clip-in hair extensions are the easiest hair extensions to maintain as compared to other hair extensions. They are affordable, faster to attach and they will not damage your natural hair. Below are the basic tips every lady with clip-in extensions (or ladies who love to wear them) must know.
- Gently comb your hair to remove whatever twist it contains. The best way to comb your hair will be combing it backward then style them when they are look straight and tidy.
- Keep the clip-in hair extension clean. You can do this by washing it with warm water to make it wet then add lots of shampoo to remove all the dirt and stains. Rinse the clip-in hair extension with warm water and allow them to dry. If you are in a rush, use a hairdryer to quickly dry your hair extensions.
- You are free to apply your hair conditioner and styling cream to make your hair soft and shiny for easy combing.
- Use warm water to rinse off the hair conditioner and styling cream. Dry the hair extension in the sun or using a hairdryer. When the hair extensions are thoroughly dry, gently comb them to remove any twist.
- You should wash your clip-in hair extensions after every one to two weeks. After a log day of work, you are tired and just want to sleep. You should always remember to remove them before sleeping and comb them straight as it will be hard to remove the twists if left uncombed in the morning. Tie a ponytail around the clip-in hair extensions to prevent them from knotting then store them on a flat horizontal or vertical surface.
Things You Will Need
- Clip-In Hair Extension
- Argon Oil (Heat Protection Products)
- Shampoo & Warm Water
- Hair Conditioner & Styling Cream
FUSION HAIR EXTENSIONS
Fusion hair extensions are one of the versatile and natural looking hair extensions on the trend. The weaves in the extensions make them to blend perfectly into your natural hair to give your hair a thick and longer natural look. There are basically two methodologies which are used to attach fusion hair extensions to your natural human hair. The most used and popular methodology known to many is the use of keratin adhesive. The adhesive is melted using a heat clamp to hold the extension to your natural hair. See the steps below on how to apply fusion hair extensions to your natural human hair. The other methodology isn’t that popular but it involves using a hot glue gun to attach your fusion hair extension to your natural gifted hair.
How To Apply Fusion Hair Extension
How to care for fusion hair extensions
See general care for all hair extensions below
INFUSION HAIR EXTENSIONS
MICRO RINGS OR MICRO LOOPS HAIR EXTENSIONS
How to apply micro rings or micro loops hair extensions
How to care for micro rings or micro loops hair extensions
GENERAL CARE FOR ALL HAIR EXTENSIONS
- Keep the hair extensions always clean by washing them with shampoo
How to wash hair extensions
- Start by combing your hair extension to remove any tangles or knots.
- Wet the hair extension with warm water for easy washing and spraying of shampoo
- Spray lots of shampoo to clean your hair extension. You can use a sponge to help you softly clean your hair or just use your fingers.
- Rinse the extension thoroughly using warm water after each shampoo.
- Get a clean towel and lay flat your hair extension. This will help you to easily apply hair conditioner to soften your hair extension.
- Gently comb the extension to remove any tangle or knotting and allow it to dry under the sun.
Things you will need
- Warm water
- Hair conditioner
- Make the hair extensions moisturized for easy combing. You can use hair conditioners and styling creams to make your hair soft, shiny and easy to comb
- Comb your hair regularly to prevent them from knotting and avoid tangling. After use, you need to keep your hair extensions when they are straight free from twist and knots
- Hair extension such as clip-in hair extensions which are easy to remove should be detached before sleeping as this might damage the extension and injure your head. This will help you to easily care for your natural human hair extension increasing its chances to be used for a long period of time.
- To look great in your hair natural extensions, make sure that they blend into your natural gifted hair. In case your hair is unique in color and texture that you can’t find the hair extension which blends in your hair, color your hair to look like the extension you want to buy. Please don’t color the extension to look like your natural hair; this will damage them making you lose the value for your money.